Sunday, July 1, 2012

Suitcase Bench and Side Table

After seeing so many different uses of vintage suitcases (tables, shelves, cat beds, etc. etc.) on Pinterest, I was inspired a few months ago to make a full on suitcase bench!   


Greg and I made this bench to fit at the end of our bed and only took a couple hours to finish the entire project... 



First, we used a left over piece of wood from our headboard project and cut down scrap pieces of wood for the legs of the bench. The legs were screwed into place about 5 inches from the end of the board.






 I found the three suitcases at the Long Beach flea market ($40 total!)  I loved the colors and they were in great condition!




Once the wood bench pieces were put together, we simply centered the suitcases on top of the bench.  We planned on screwing the suitcases into the bench put never got around to it....


Confession:  After a couple weeks I took the bench apart :(  I LOVED how it looked and thought it complemented the room nicely, but after almost getting knocked in the face by the suitcases while trying to make the bed every morning and Greg almost breaking his toes every time he ran into the bench I knew it was time for it to go. sad.

BUT...


We did take the bench apart and used the wooden legs to make this small side table (just screwed the legs into the bottom of the suitcase).  Right now all my school papers are pilled in, on, and around it :)




No comments:

Post a Comment